Monday, September 28, 2015

Reaction to "The Boston Photographs"

Nora Ephron's "The Boston Photographs" was a really easy and interesting read for me. I liked how she started off the story by speaking from the photographers perspective. She talked about taking the photographs and how she "realized what was going on and completely turned around, because I did not want to see her hit." She really grabbed my attention and I was eager to read the description of the pictures or see the pictures themselves. The structure of the story was very clear and made it an easy read for me. First she quoted the photographer's thoughts as the mystery pictures were being taken, then she described the pictures in detail. She stated facts about where the pictures could be seen and then proceeded to put more of her thoughts about what happened into the story. I feel like the pictures were controversial for many reasons. The pictures show a mother and a child in the act of falling to their death. The first of the three pictures should have been the only one published because they were still standing on the fire escape. The second and the third pictures of them in midair falling to their death are pretty gruesome and I know if that was me I would not want people seeing that. I do understand that it is their job to report the full story but I think that the reporters point could still be made without the horrifying pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment